Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Shades-Firebird

Last night I went to see the SF ballet.  They performed three mini ballets- The Kingdom of Shades from La Bayadere, Ghosts (which I didn't love) and Firebird.  Both Kingdom of Shades and Firebird have a special place in my heart.  Shades is just beautiful and an extremely hard ballet.  I actually broke my ankle (and had surgery later) while I was rehearsing for the First Shade Variation (below).




Balanchine re-staged Firebird for the dancer Maria Tallchief.  It was the first major success of the NYC Ballet.  When I danced (way back in the day), I was lucky enough to be taught by Maria Tallchief and she taught us pieces from this ballet.  However, I had never actually seen it!

Source- Maria Tallchief in Firebird
Firebird is also special because it is about a "firebird" from Russian folklore.  She is a rare bird and if captured brings bad luck to her captor.  However, she fell in love with the Prince and allowed him to catch her.  He breaks her heart when her love is not returned.  Despite this, she is incredibly proud, strong, independent and beautiful; she never loses her fire.  I could totally relate to her and was very moved by her during the performance.

Inside the War Memorial Opera House

SF City Hall (across the street from the ballet)




I had the best time.  I was on the edge of my seat watching the whole night.  I cannot wait to go back!!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I would love to see the SF ballet one day. I didn't know you did ballet. How long did you dance for? You probably know the company I work for then… Capezio? xx