Tuesday, December 10, 2013

so much more than a tree....

I really like the tradition of getting real Christmas trees.  When I first moved out own my own in Santa Monica, Russ helped me get a tree.  We had so much fun picking it out and decorating it together.  We kept the tradition going each year.

Last year, he wasn't too into it and I more or less forced him to go because I didn't think I could get one alone.

I really wanted a tree this year, but now that I am single, I thought "I can't get a tree, I will never be able to carry it up 3 flights of stairs into my apartment.  I can never do this alone."  Then I got sad and frankly, a little mad.  If I want a tree, I should be able to get a damn tree (pardon the swearing)!

SO last Monday, all fired up, I went to the tree lot.  I wandered around, not looking at the shape and fullness of the tree, but instead, picking them up to see how heavy they were.  The guy that worked there clearly thought I was nuts, but hey, a single girls gotta do what a single girls gotta do.

Needless to say, I found a tree that I thought I might be able to carry up the stairs.  I bought it and I figured worst case, if I can't, I can leave it in my car until someone could help me.

I was able to get it up the stairs by myself (with only a few side eyes from my neighbors) and the sense of satisfaction I feel now every time I look at that silly tree is something I cannot explain.  This year, it is so much more than a tree.

Stockings hung by the dog bed with care

My pride and joy



6 comments:

From Foothills to Fog said...

I love your tree! I'm so glad you got one (but I'm so close if you ever need help)! It looks great, I love the pictures of the pups all snuggled in their blankets. Your place is looking so festive. Merry Christmas friend! See you soon.

Cara said...

I love your tree! I would have come over and helped you schlep it up the stairs and then we could have celebrated with lots of wine, but I'm glad you were able to get it there all by yourself! And I love the little doggy stockings. So adorable.

Erica said...

i love it - YOU GO GIRL!

casey said...

Way to go!! It looks so beautiful and cozy!

Stephanie said...

That tree is damn gorgeous. You go girl.

ShelbyJo said...

So proud of you!!!