Friday, June 14, 2013

Girls on the Run

Girls on the Run is an amazing non-profit that focuses on helping young girls learn about living a healthy, active lifestyle.  Women like us volunteer to coach the girls for 10 weeks and then at the end, they all run a 5k together.

I LOVE this organization.  I truly believe that women need to stick together.  Life is hard enough why are we out there criticizing each other and making each other feel bad?  So many women feel bad about their bodies and worry about what they eat.  I think it is really important to teach young girls how to feel good about themselves because they are healthy.

I don't actually coach for them, but I am going to try to make that happen in the fall.  I did, however, run their 5k.  Let me tell you this was the funnest (is this a real word?  probably not) 3.1 miles I have ever run.  The girls were so excited and so cute.  It was easy to just feed off of their energy.  It didn't hurt that the 5k was in Golden Gate Park and there was some amazing scenery!






3 comments:

Cara said...

What a cool program!!

From Foothills to Fog said...

I've heard about this program before and I think it's awesome! You're right, we need to stick together! I love the idea of empowering young girls to believe in themselves and encourage them from such a young ago :) That's awesome you're getting involved.

April said...

I hope you coach for them! That'd be awesome!