Friday, May 3, 2013

Learning

Most of the time on this blog I am sharing what I do on a daily basis.  I rarely talk about my work (mostly cause lawerying is boring to most people).  Yesterday was the one year anniversary of starting my current job.  This is the longest I have ever had a full time job and the first time I have supported myself.  It feels pretty darn good.

When I was 17 I had a teacher humiliate me in front of the class...for getting the highest grade on an exam.  I worked so hard to earn that grade, but to this day when I think back to that test, I don't remember that; I just remember feeling ashamed.  That teacher made me feel stupid and worst of all, I believed him.  I got an A in that class and a 4.0 that semester.

Fast forward 10 years, I am now an attorney.  I went to college where I did very well and graduated early.  I went to law school on scholarship and earned a masters at the same time.  I passed the bar on the first try.  I have accomplished a lot in the last ten years.  I am proud of these accomplishments, but not because of the degrees or the title "attorney."  I am proud  because it took a lot for me to get to where I am.

It was not easy to overcome the belief that I was stupid.  It was not easy to stay in law school after I totally botched my first semester exams.  It was not easy to believe that I deserved this.

I have learned a lot in the last ten years about life and love and myself.  I have also learned a few things from these experiences:

  1. Thoughtless things we stay hurt other people and stick with them for years.
  2. Even if I am stupid, hard work counts for something.
  3. People may think I am stupid , but I will never believe them.
  4. Anyone who doesn't believe in me and support me in a positive way isn't someone I want in my life.
  5. I can support myself and succeed on my own, but I don't have to. 

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you have a great weekend!


13 comments:

Stephanie Court said...

Number 5, that's a big one I'm still working on coming to terms with. And good for you for not letting that lame teacher have a longer lasting influence!

Cara said...

You go girl! What you have accomplished is absolutely something to be proud of and you should always feel like that and never let anyone tell you differently!

Lindsay said...

You are far from stupid! These are all great things to remember!

From Foothills to Fog said...

Congrats on the milestone at work! That is awesome, it sounds like you've worked your butt off to get where you are and you deserve all the success in the world!

#1 and #4, those are big ones I try to remember too.

heather @ fieryandopinionated said...

good for you for putting all this out there! you should be proud of yourself for that and all of your awesome accomplishments. celebrate this weekend with some margaritas :)

C'est Law Vie said...

Agreed with everyone! This was such a great post. You're a rockstar! Congrats.

Tanya Homiston said...

It was heartbreaking to watch you struggle, believing you were stupid and not good enough when we knew otherwise. My heart bursts with pride for the child/girl you were and the beautiful, warm, loving, brilliant woman you have become! Love you

Sarah said...

Wow you have accomplished a lot. Sorry to hear about some of the sadder moments when you were younger. You're doing great with your positive outlook =)

- Sarah
A Girl In Transit

April said...

My freshman year of college I finished an 80-question multiple choice + 6 essay question test in about 30 minutes. I knew my shit and I'm not one to second guess myself so I was fast. This asshat who was a friend of a friend came up to me afterward and asked why I hadn't studied? . . . Excuse me? He thought I had just turned the test in, leaving some of it blank. Thanks a lot, dude. I got an A+ on the exam. Not super similar to your situation, but reminded me of that. People hear me speak and immediately think I'm fairly stupid. I've been called ditzy. I happen to be sort of blonde. I have a slow Southern accent. I also graduated with a 3.8 GPA, and a 4.0 in my major - got a job in a research lab a few months after. I rather enjoy proving people wrong. <3

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

#4 is such an important one to live by. Those people just suck out of us. Friendships should never be draining.

Erica said...

way to go! you should be proud of all your accomplishments, keep it up and don't let anybody make you feel stupid, ashamed or not deserving of it.

Mo (New on U) said...

It's funny how the bad stuff really sticks with you but the good slides right away! All good points you've made, except #2 is applicable to you at all! (the dumb part, not the hard-working part)

Katie Cook said...

Holy moly, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! You go girl:)