Monday, March 11, 2013

Horses

Every year for Russ' birthday present I take him on a little weekend getaway (because he is insanely hard to shop for!).  Even though his birthday was a month ago, we went this weekend because it was the first weekend we were free.

I took him away to a small town north of Sonoma called Glen Ellen.  It was a super cute little town right next to Jack London State Park.  The park used to be Jack London's private ranch, but now the state owns most of it.  You can hike, ride horses and tour his house.  We did all of the above.

Most of you probably don't know this, but I am afraid of horses. I think they are really beautiful animals, but they are just SOO big and powerful. I think my fear stems for lack of control (not that I am a control freak or anything....).

I decided that this was a good opportunity to overcome my fear.  Life is too short to miss out on things because of fear and I certainly don't want fear to hold me back from my life.

Mr. Smith, Tug and Newt (photo taken from a safe distance)
The instructor was great and he gave me a lesson on how to stop, go, turn, etc.  My horse was Newt.  He was a sweetie and he took good care of me.

Isn't Newt handsome?


Me and Newt, Russ and Tug
Tug was a bit of a bully.  Russ let him get too close to my Newt and Tug bit Newt's butt! How rude!!  Luckily for Russ, Newt took it in stride and didn't scare me.  Thanks Newt!

Sweet Newty boy





The park was gorgeous.  After we rode horses through the redwood trees, we had a picnic lunch.  Then we walked around the park and toured Jack London's house.  It was wonderful.

On our way home, we stopped at the Marin Headleads to catch a view of the Golden Gate Bridge because it was such a clear, nice day.







The girls missed us terribly so we took them to the park to run, play and enjoy the rare bit of sunshine




The sunshine and palm trees almost made me think I was back in So Cal!

7 comments:

Cara said...

How fun! My aunt and uncle used to own a vineyard in Glen Ellen and sold it a few years ago. I loveeee that area. I'm so glad it was sunny this weekend! It seems like everyone got out and enjoyed it.

Mo (New on U) said...

Looks amazing! I can't wait for weekend get-aways like that!

Ashley said...

Such a perfect birthday gift!! I haven't ridden on a horse in forever. This looks like so much fun.

Jordyn said...

This looks like so much fun! Makes me want to ride horses again.
Jordyn
theprettylovelyblog.blogspot.com

Rachel Lawson said...

These photos are great! Looks like a great time! I nominated you for The Liebster award. You can check out the info on my blog!

xo
Rachel
picklesandchapstick.blogspot.com

emi said...

ahhh LOVE this!
1. giving a giveaway is the best kind of gift, adore that you do that.
2. my birthday is coming up and i am sending this to my husband as an idea! i would LOVE to do this!! we live in the bay so we can go there!
3. i loveee horses, and grew up owning one!

lots of reasons why i love this haha XO

Meg {henninglove} said...

so i am embarrassed to admit i have no idea who jack london is, please tell me who he is. what a great weekend for you two and a weekend away is a great birthday present for anyone who is insanely hard to shop for, how far away from SF is this place?