Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent




As some of you may remember from last year, I love Lent/Easter.  I think the idea of giving something up and feeling sacrifice, as well as taking time to reflect is a wonderful exercise for us as Christians and humans.

When I first started observing Lent, I would give up something hard but materialistic, like chocolate or soda.  Last year was the first year I gave up something more serious; I gave up complaining.  A lot of people thought I was crazy and said it was unrealistic.  I hear ya!  Of course I didn't go all 40 days without complaining, BUT for 40 days I (and all of those around me- side eye Russ) was conscious of my complaining.  I made a real effort not to complain, which in turn, forced me to focus on the positive.  I truly believe that my whole mentality shifted.  Of course I still complain, but I feel like I am a generally more positive person.  I grew up being very positive and somewhere in law school, my perspective shifted to the negative (no surprise there!).  Lent last year was like a re-set for me back to my old, positive way of viewing life.

That being said, this year I wanted to choose something more serious; something that could really benefit my character and growth.  This year I have decided to give up trashy reality tv AND replace that time reading the Bible and journaling on my thoughts/takeaways/etc. 

I am committing to reading the Bible and journaling everyday for the next 40 days. I think there is a lot I can gain from this and I am really looking forward to doing it.  I will keep you posted on any earth-shattering revelations I have! ;)

Do you participate in Lent?  What are you giving up?


1 comment:

Nicole Marie said...

love this idea! love that you gave up complaining.. even if your are happy, its so easy to start complaining