Tuesday, October 2, 2012

playing tourist

I did all my "chores" and errands on Saturday so I had nothing to do on Sunday.  This is rare and a total blessing.  However, all of my friends were busy and Russ was in NYC so I was on my own.  At first, I had a bit of a pity party and didn't know what to do.

The weather was abnormally wonderful here and I didn't want to waste the beautiful day.  I pulled out my SF tourist book and made a plan!

I went to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park.  

I went to see a private collection that featured artists like Renoir, Picasso, Manet and Cezanne.

The architecture of the museum is amazing.



I picked up two prints for my office.  This is Degas.

This is Manet (not to be confused with Monet)



Then I went next door to the Japanese Tea Garden 











After the Garden I wasn't ready to leave so I wandered around the Park a bit.  When I got back to the plaza where the Museum is, I noticed that a free concert in the park was playing.  I sat down and listened to the concert.






The breeze was blowing, it was warm, the air was fresh and we were surrounded by leaves that were turning.  It was beautiful and also very liberating to be able to sit down and enjoy a concert on a whim.

What started as a kind of lonely day turned into the most perfect solo Sunday.

And then right when I got home, my friend texted me to meet her and some friends in the park to hang!!

How was your weekend?!

5 comments:

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

I love GG Park so much. I never seem to run out of things that I still want to see there. Did you do the observation town in the deYoung? The views are breathtaking.

Have you checked out Strawberry Hill and Stowe Lake yet? It is a fun place (and good for solo exploring).

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great Sunday! I love the Japanese tea garden!

Brooklyn said...

love this post! we have been playing tourists in our new city for over a month now, ha! so much fun! ps - i want to visit you!!!!

Nicole Marie said...

i love hte japanese tea garden... i always take my visitors there

Vanisha @ Vanishas Life In...Australia said...

I love museums, they make such a great date venue - especially when there are traveling exhibitions on. There's something so magical about them :)