Friday, April 20, 2012

offer a lady a seat!

so what ever happened to chivalry? it's dead, right? thats what you're going to tell me? 

today i was riding the bus in a dress and heels with a big bag.  i was standing up and there were about 6 guys between 20-35 sitting down right next to me. now i know the law doesn't require you to give up your seat for a lady in a dress, but really, why not?

im very grateful to have equal rights under the law and to be able to be a lawyer.  however, i don't think men and women are the same and i think that's a good thing. i love being a woman, feminine, a lady. i think most men are stronger and tougher then i am so why not be stronger and tougher and let a lady sit!?

at the end of the day, i don't even expect them to actually give up their seats for me, but it just constantly surprises me that everyday i stand on the bus, not one man had EVER OFFERED to give up his seat. if they were my sons, id smack em! (not that i have one)

what do you guys think? do you think a man should at least offer his seat to a lady on the bus?

5 comments:

Mo (New on U) said...

I'm torn.

I definitely think people need to get up for the disabled, elderly, pregnant ladies and people with small children. I'm not sure about just for ladies though...

Don't get me wrong. I ride the bus to work everyday in heels and would LOVE a seat. But I'm not sure that my decision to wear heals earns me a seat.

Not saying I would turn one down if it were offered though... :)

Alex said...

Well, welcome to San Francisco! I just moved here in March. For better or worse, women and men feel more equally treated here than any place I've lived. It's like gender differences do not even occur to people here, as opposed to that systemic, entrenched way that they manifest in our day-to-day lives in the rest of the world. Personally, though there are definitely some drawbacks, I am a fan. Especially from a career standpoint!

My solution is wearing ugly, comfortable flats on the way to work. Given what I described above, I figure it's not like physical attractiveness is doing the same favors for us as it did elsewhere :) And lord knows I am not interested in impressing some of the weirdos that ride that bus!

Great blog! I found it from another blog (I can't remember which one!). Congrats on finding work and keep it up :)

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

i'm southern. of course i still believe in chivalry!!

you help the old ladys across the seat. you open the car door for your woman. you pull out your chair for you mother. and you offer women (esp. pregnant ones) your seat on the bus.

Ashley said...

I totally agree with you. It's like I used to tell my students, "act like you have some home training!!!" :-)

Victoria Schuler said...

Sadly, I think it is dead in the Bay:(

Month from hell - Winter of '05: bruised ribs + pneumonia + Muni train from Forest Hill station to work in SoMa + full time student + 2 tote bags of work... Can say that's the one thing I don't miss about living in SF!

How I wish these men's mothers were there to flick their ear!

Love your blog, yay to the Bay! :)