Thursday, April 12, 2012

new goal

With Spring here and our big summer vacation planned, I would love to try to be better about working out.  I am definitely not one of those people who thinks everyone needs to be super skinny, but I do think that it is important to stay healthy and active and that you feel better about yourself when you do.

I lack motivation to go to the gym much.  I just get bored and its so crowded that it isn't always the de-stressor I want it to be.  My friend Monica at C'est Law Vie blogged about how she did couch to 5K and has enjoyed the process.

I don't like running.  I usually get bored or tired or both and quit.  I have never run more than 2 miles at a time and that was really unpleasant.  I think it's partly because I usually try to do too much too soon.  I'm thinking about trying couch to 5k and seeing if having a set plan 3 times per week helps me feel motivated and excited about it.


you can tell im meant to be a runner! i mean check out this form!


I almost didn't blog about this because Im scared to start it and quit or hate it or something, but I figured this would hold me accountable. So here it is!  I started couch to 5k on Monday and will be doing this for the next 2 months.  I am hoping to find a 5k to run in after that.  If i sign up, then i have to stick with the program haha.

Has anyone else done this or something similar? how did it go?  anyone else have a workout plan in preparation for summer? any upbeat song suggestions to run to?

10 comments:

C'est Law Vie said...

Thanks for the shoutout, B! My 5K is this Sunday and I will keep you posted on how it goes. I think you will love Couch to 5K, definitely turned me into a runner and I wasn't one before. As for good running music, here is a list: http://cestlawvie.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/schweaty-music/ I am going to have to do another post with music soon because I've got a whole new slew of favorites. I also recommend the Britney Pandora station!

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

that form is stellar!! haha. i'm currently training for a marathon that i vouched to run before 2013. currently i regretting announcing it to the blogworld. but at the same time, it's the only thing keeping me motivated.

i love running to "OK GO". but you'd have to like their style, they are a little different. good luck!! you can do it!!

Lindsay said...

I was thinking about starting Couch to 5K too! Maybe I will start it Monday and we can hold each other accountable. Also, I really want to do the Color Run in SF in July. Would you be interested?

Melissa said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! youll do GREAT! :) happy running!!

Nicole said...

You will kick BUTT! I did it last year (see my blog post today) and it was AMAZING and then I was so motivated, by October I ran a half marathon!!! You'll be surprised what your body can do. I never thought I could run that far!

Know what you should do? Come to Maine June 14th and run the Twilight 5k with me:) Or the half marathon in October!

B said...

@monica you're so welcome! omg good luck!! cant wait to hear how it went. my blog friend, lindsay, lives in petaluma. she saw my post and decided to do it too. she is starting on monday. we are thinking about running a 5k in june ish somewhere in the bay area together once we finish training. if you're still interested in 5ks around that time, it would be so fun if you would run with us too!!

Brooklyn said...

Yay! Good luck with the couch to 5k - that's awesome! I can't run without a variety of music in my ears. I love Dr Dog and Born Ruffins!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

I did the same thing when I decided to run a half marathon. I announced it on my blog and because of that is totally made me feel accountable! It really helped me stick with it and do it! FElt great!

Ashley said...

You go girl!!! No, I definitely don't run...and don't think I ever will. But, I fully support you doing it!!

Erica [pocket full of chuckles] said...

i did this orogram two years ago before i ran my first 5k! and it works! my blog actually started because of it and how i wanted to keep running 5k's - hence my url name, 3 point 1 for 3.1 miles :) I think you should totally document your progress on here, it really helps!